Classroom activity: Contemporary America 1970 to the Present
Directions: Use the content from the Texas Citizen Bee website to help answer the following questions:
- In what capacity did Sanford Dole serve with regards to the territory of Hawaii?
- How you describe Sanford Dole’s position with regards to the residents of Hawaii when Hawaii was annexed to the United States?
Henry Cabot Lodge
- What did Lodge believe was necessary for the United States to become a world power?
- How would you describe the difference of opinion between Lodge and President Wilson with regards to U.S. foreign policy?
Alfred Thayer Mahan
- How role did Mahan’s book The Influence of Sea Power on History play in the United States becoming a world power both politically and economically?
- Who was influenced by Mahan’s book?
General John Pershing
- How did Pershing get the nickname, “Black Jack?”
- As commander of the American Expeditionary Forces, sent to Europe when the United States entered World War I, how did General Pershing demand the U.S. troops be used to defeat the Germans?
- What did Roosevelt mean when he said, “Speak softly and carry a big stick” when describing his foreign policy?
- As President of the United States, how did his actions increase the power of the federal government?
- What was Wilson’s policy concerning the U.S. entering World War I?
- How did Wilson hope to prevent another world war from occurring?
- For what action did Alvin York win the Congressional Medal of Honor?
- How did Wilson hope the three goals of his 14 points would help prevent another war such as World War I?
- What was the major reason that the Treaty of Versailles was not ratified by the U.S. Senate?
SUPREME COURT CASE
Schenck v. U.S.
- What was the intent of the Selective Service Act and the Espionage Act passed by Congress in 1917?
- How were both acts involved in the arrest of Charles Schenck?